The concept of the Village Network is based on the members of a community helping one another. We welcome volunteers of all ages who would like to become involved with the Village Network of Petaluma. While volunteers do not need to be members of the Village, members are encouraged to be volunteers, and both often serve on our volunteer teams together.
Our minimum time requirements are low and most of our positions are flexible. We have a number of volunteer opportunities, and volunteers are encouraged to choose an area that inspires them. It’s a great way to be of service and to make new friends at the same time.
We provide orientation training for all volunteers, perform basic background checks, and also provide any necessary specialized training.
Village Network of Petaluma
P.O. Box 442
Petaluma, CA 93953
Now, let's take a look at the fun opportunities you can join.
Our volunteers are orgnized into two categories of opportunities: Direct Service Volunteers and Village Builders. Within these areas, you can join us as a volunteer or volunteer team lead. Here's a quick overview of these volunteer roles and what you can expect from them.
Direct Service Volunteers
These volunteers work directly with members, helping them with a wide variety of tasks, including:
- Transportation to medical appointments, prescription pick-up, and grocery shopping, and Village events. This is our most utilized service.
- Personalized information and referral assistance
- Help with computers and other electronic equipment
- Friendly Visitors for members who enjoy a regular in-person connection
- Daily/weekly phone check-ins for members who would like to connect by phone
- Occasional gardening
- Minor home repairs/fix-it chores
- Occasional pet walking/care
- Medical appointment note-taking/advocacy
- Home safety checks
- Resource development and assistance for family caregivers
These volunteers work on teams to help develop and support the organization by contributing editing/design skills, training volunteers, helping in the office, and making policy for different aspects of the Village programs, etc. Your skills will help in these ways:
- Plan and assist with some of our wonderful Village social events
- Join the Program Team to develop programs or help coordinate logistics
- Conduct research on senior service resources
- Be a part of our Office Team
- Help manage our website and social media presence
- Serve on our Newsletter Team
- Serve as a Village Ambassador
- Help with our community outreach to other nonprofits and local businesses
- Join the Fund Development Team to expand connections to the business community, write grants for our scholarship program, and more.
- Work on organizational development – strategic planning and policies
Our different volunteer groups (e.g., Newsletter Team, Drivers) are managed by folks called Team Leads. They help assign activities to volunteers, direct our strategies, make sure their team's work is aligned with the mission of the Village, and more.
If you would like to learn more, join us at our next “Get To Know The Village” meeting—found on the home page—or contact Carol Appel, Member Relations and Volunteer Manager, at (707)776-6055 or info@VillageNetworkofPetaluma.org.